Saturday, April 13, 2013

Women's Lib



WOMEN’S LIBARATION

I fly frequently on business. I normally try to reach the airport well in time to avoid the last minute rush. After coping with the unpredictable Chennai traffic, there are queues to be negotiated at every stage which are manned by the people who are not known for either their efficiency or their courtesy. So I often reach the airport with some time to spare.
            I was standing in the first queue near the entrance at the airport, clutching my id and the ticket in one hand and the weather-beaten suitcase in another. A well-dressed attractive young lady, 35ish, rushed in waving a phablet in one hand. “May I go in please? I am late”.  She pleaded. With their hearts full of human kindness for the plight of the working woman, the other passengers readily agreed. The security guard at the gate shrugged. She breezed through.  Likewise, she sashayed through the second tier of security and the check-in counter.
By the time I had managed to check in, she had already sailed past the long queue for security check. When I went past the humiliation of security check, I found her sitting in one corner, sipping coffee, chatting idly with a colleague/friend.  I was surprised. I thought she was late? It turned out she wasn’t. She was going on the same flight as mine and had ample time on her hands. All this subterfuge was to avoid standing in tedious queues.
A little peeved, I couldn’t stop myself from asking “madam! You said you were late but you weren’t”.  She gave me a withering look which clearly said “mind your own effing business” and declined to favour me with a verbal response.
She again managed to glide past the queue for boarding the bus and the final queue for boarding the flight. When I went in after a while, huffing and puffing after the exertions of standing in 5 different queues, the lady in question was snugly ensconced in her seat, chatting idly on her cell phone. She looked at me with a smirk and turned disdainfully away from my accusatory glare.
My heart bleeds for the battered, bruised and abused Indian woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment