Friday, August 22, 2014

Aqualung

Jethro Tull

 After recently acquiring a home theatre, I took out some old CDs, removed the cobwebs and put on Aqualung by Jethro Tull, a 43 year old album. I had earlier liked Jethro Tull’s music for their unique style dominated by flute and guitar riffs, rarely paying much attention to the lyrics ‘cept applauding pithy stuff like “skating on the thin ice of the new day”. Being a man of leisure, having retired this year, I desultorily googled for the lyrics. I was really gobsmacked to learn that this was a concept album with the central theme of “the distinction between religion and god”. It was touted to be one of the most cerebral albums to reach millions of rock fans.
In the final number ‘wind up’, the last stanza says,
How do you dare tell me that I am my father’s son
When that was just an accident of birth.
I’d rather look around me, compose a better song
‘cos that’s the honest  measure of my worth.
In your pomp and all your glory you are a poorer man than me,
As you lick the boots of death born out of fear.
I don’t believe you
You had the whole damn thing all wrong.
He’s not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays.

The words are really deep and philosophical, quite iconoclastic also, denouncing the ritualism deeply embedded in all religions. Even Osho couldn’t have said it better. And that is saying a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment